Friday, September 17, 2010

"Who's to say the way a man should spend his days"?

Each week as I contemplate the Friday traditio I am always struck by how many great songs and artists have yet to make an appearance. One of those is John Mellencamp, formerly known as John Cougar Mellencamp, and, early in his career, as plain old John Cougar. Two of his albums I wore out listening to: Scarecrow and his follow-up Jubilee. When I write wore out, I mean it because I originally purchased both on cassette tape.

Because sundown this evening is the beginning of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, it is important to do something reflective, a bit penitential, yet hopeful. Mellencamp's Paper in Fire fits the bill.


"He wanted love with no involvement/
So he chased the wind that's his silly life required/
And the days of vanity went on forever/
And he saw his days burn up like paper in fire."

1 comment:

  1. Reflective and Penitential...

    I'm too busy Wallowing...But Will Try!!

    BTW, I Miss Reading your Blog!

    I have to MAKE THE TIME, Gosh Darnit!

    It nourishes me in a way that is quite difficult to explain, but that I MUST Thank You For...

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...