Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chronicle of a troubled time for Israeli-U.S.-Palestinian relations

Today Il Sussidiario published another article I wrote on the Middle East, The different attitude of Bush and Obama. I will admit that it was a difficult article to write, but our overall foreign policy is giving great impetus to nations bent on pursuing goals that are contrary to peace and international order. Nowhere is this more evident than the Middle East.


Therefore, I want to draw attention to a few previous articles published by Il Sussidiario since early last fall that chronicle our turn in the wrong direction, as well-intentioned as that turn might be:

20 November 2009- Abbas' resignation would raise serious concerns for both Palestine and Israel

18 October 2009- The Goldstone Report condemns the Israeli "deliberately disproportionate attack" on Gaza

11 October 2009- Nobel Prize/Obama awarded: what were they thinking?

29 September 2009- US Foreign Policy after the G-20: A New Naiveté?

28 September 2009- Obama, Abbas, and Netanyahu: what about Gaza?

Before submitting it for publication, I sent my latest article on the contrast between the approaches of Presidents Bush and Obama to Israeli/Palestinian relations to a priest friend of mine. I asked for and received absolution for being way too hard on President Bush. To his responding e-mail he attached a picture of President Bush with the caption, Miss me yet? For me now, this is a rhetorical question. Nonetheless, I am greatly heartened by the rise of a new generation of politicians, like Marco Rubio, who is running for U.S. Senate in Florida, who seem to get it.

1 comment:

  1. Very thought provoking material Scott, thank you for sharing it. I must go give some thought to what I have read and to see the other links.

    ReplyDelete

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...