Thursday, April 1, 2010

Paschal Triduum begins

Jesus washes his disciples' feet, by Giotto di Bondone, 1304-06

during supper, fully aware that the Father had put everything into his power and that he had come from God and was returning to God, he rose from supper and took off his outer garments. He took a towel and tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and dry them with the towel around his waist. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Master, are you going to wash my feet?" Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing, you do not understand now, but you will understand later." Peter said to him, "You will never wash my feet." Jesus answered him, "Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me." Simon Peter said to him, "Master, then not only my feet, but my hands and head as well." (John 13:2b-9) .

I just find it truly beautiful that this is the institution narrative in St. John's Gospel because it is the basis for diaconal ministry. So, tonight at sunset, Lent ends and the Triduum begins. Let us put aside everything else and joyfully enter into these highest of holy days. If you can, take tomorrow off work, pray earnestly all night tomorrow and Saturday, and join in the great Easter Vigil, the highest and holiest liturgy. The great Easter Vigil is the axis around which time revolves.

"I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...