Friday, April 9, 2010

"The future's in the air"



In all honesty I am not a huge Scorpions fan, but neither do I dislike them. For example, I have always liked their song Wind of Change. You can say a lot about rockers, especially metalists, but typically they have their political act together. The political and often cultural coherence of hard rockers was never more in evidence than during the Cold War. I mean, you didn't see too many hard rockers running around with Che Guevara t-shirts on and making excuses for the abysmal failure that was the Communist experiment, etc.

Wind of Change is a surprisingly mellow and moving song by the Scorps, who are otherwise one of the hardest rocking bands of the metal era.

"The wind of change blows straight
Into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring
The freedom bell for peace of mind
Let your balalaika sing
What my guitar wants to say "

Wind of Change, which I heard on the radio this week of an evening driving, is our Friday traditio.

I can't pass up the opportunity on this Easter Friday to say that the resurgence of the sex abuse crisis, this time involving the Holy Father, is an opportunity for us to either show that we are serious about living this way or not. I think the jury is still very much out on this, the only issue that matters. I love the Holy Father very much and pray for him daily, more so these past few weeks. I have admired him since long before he became pope. Nothing has tarnished the high regard in which I have long held him. His silence at this point, I believe, is no accident. I really think he is taking it all as a penance. I stand in solidarity with his prudence.

Christos Anesti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...