Friday, August 7, 2009

John Hughes, R.I.P.



I am a child of the '80s. I graduated in 1984. I unabashedly love The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, all movies made by John Hughes, who unexpectedly died yesterday after suffering a heart-attack while walking in Manhattan. It is not too much to say that I was kinda shaped by these films, not completely, but in a significant way- The Breakfast Club in particular. The lyrics by David Bowie, from his truly great song (one of my very favorites) Changes, at the beginning are apropos. Young people are, indeed, "quite aware of what they're going through."

This tribute is additio traditio- too cute by half I know! Besides, this Simple Minds' song is pretty great, a cri de coeur.

2 comments:

  1. Really! I pictured you as a stately older "wise man"!

    I too loved those films, especially 'Pretty in Pink' that I must have seen a few hundred times when I was a kid.

    John Hughes, RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, I am 43. I don't know about stately, but I am not that young, nor that old.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...