Saturday, March 14, 2009

Some good things for a Lenten Saturday

Over on la nouvelle théologie, Fred continues his exploration of faith. While all his posts in this series are very good, I particularly like the one he posted last night, entitled What Is Faith In Christ? My reason for liking it is fairly simple, last fall, especially in preparation for my presentation at Seattle Beginning Day, I focused a lot of attention on Giussani's five passages of faith, as they are given in the first volume of Is It Possible to Live This Way?

I also want to draw attention to what Sara wrote about her convent visit. I ask you to pray for her as she enters a new phase of discernment between now and August. Since she is now planning to enter as a postulant on the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which also marks the 100th anniversary of the initial dedication of our home parish, The Cathedral of the Madeleine, please pray to our Blessed Mother for her, also seek the intercession of her patron, St. Joseph, as well as that of St. Mary Magdalene and, of course, that woman for the ages, St. Chiara (i.e., Clare) of Assisi, beloved companion of St. Francesco, whose daughter Sara longs to be.
St. Gaetano Catanoso

Finally, I began reading a book last night given to me by a dear brother in our parish with whom I am starting an outreach to bring people back to the Church after Easter, a book that is just great. It is by Justin Catanoso and entitled My Cousin the Saint: A Search for Faith, Family, and Miracles. So, in addition to the other recent saints and venerables, like St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, St. Gianna Molla, Bl. John XXIII, Bl. Franz Jägerstätter, and Bl. Teresa of Calcutta, and Bl. Zelie & Louis Martin, parents of the Little Flower, I have now added St. Gaetano Catanoso, a most humble and loving disciple of Jesus Christ, to those whose intercession I make recourse for my many intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...