Saturday, March 14, 2009

"I always knew you'd take me back"



A belated Friday traditio, an oldie, Sometimes Always by Jesus and Mary Chain with an assist from the lovely Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star. I love the echoes of Joy Division guitar strains in this song.

Hey, love is difficult and we are ambiguous and ambivalent creatures. That's why we need to be consicous and aware of God's faithfulness to us, especially when we have been unfaithful. Like the children of Israel, who, when beset by poisonous serpents, only had to look at Moses holding up the bronze serpent to live, all we have to do is look to Christ and Him crucified; look to the crucified One who stretched out his arms between heaven and earth in a sign of God's everlasting covenant with us (Numbers 21:4-9; John 3:9-14). The crucifixion of His only Begotten Son is the limit God has set to evil in the world. As to our own evil, God is always ready to give us one more chance. In the words of St. Gaetano Catanoso, echoing Job, words he would say to those he served, who were truly poor and knew suffering and hardship: "We must give thanks to the Lord both in joy and suffering, in success and failure because all things are from Him for our sake and our salvation" (My Cousin the Saint, pg. 24). I love that this song is a dialogue.

I gave you all I had
I gave you good and bad
I gave but you just threw it back

I won’t get on my knees
Don’t make me do that please
I’ve been away but now I’m back

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...