Friday, June 16, 2023

Chillin' in the Red Rocks

This week finds me in Torrey, Utah. Torrey sits just to the west of Capitol Reef National Park. Last Monday, my wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. We had a nice evening going to Mass and then to dinner. But this short trip to one of our favorite places is our main celebration

It's nice to get away. I need to do it more. It takes me a whole day just to relax. I feel quite chill on this rainy afternoon. Sounds blah. While usually I am a lot of things, chill is not one of them.

Every time Holly and I get away, we agree that we need to do so every six months. Then, three years later, we get away again. It's not a complaint as much as a joke. I have a good life, even if I am too busy most of the time.

We drove down late yesterday afternoon and arrived at our destination, a bed and breakfast, at about supper time. It's become our tradition to listen to a Tony Hillerman novel as drive through the wonderfully vast spaces of central, eastern, and southern Utah. Wailing Wind, which features both Lt. Joe Leaphorn and Sgt. Jim Cree is the book we're enjoying this trip.

Photo I took this morning from the Chimney Rock Overlook, Capitol Reef National Park


As far as today's traditio, I am posting a Navajo Poem- "Naanídeeshdááł" ("I Will Return to You"):



According to the poet who composed it, "Naanídeeshdááł" "examines the love one has for home, The Land - speaking of it as a lost love, a friend, waiting to return to the arms of this birth-land, this culture - home sweet home."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the “get away to relax” advice. -KJ

    ReplyDelete

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...