Sunday, December 4, 2022

Reflecting about blogging

I am giving both my readers an up-front warning: this is a post about blogging. Don't worry, it won't be long. It is the second post of the last month of 2022. This hardly seems possible.

I haven't been a terribly diligent or consistent blogger this year. But this is my sixteenth year of blogging. My goal this year was to post somewhere around 120 times, which amounts to 10 posts per month. This is my 101st post. With Advent and then Christmas, I may still make that goal.

It's probably because I've had a bit more time than I usually have on a weekend that I am both thinking and writing about this. I started this blog in August 2005 and then began blogging in earnest in the July of the following year. My diligent blogging started with the post I titled "How Occasional?"

For several years, it was frequent, not occasional. Over the years, it has become more occasional but still works out to roughly twice a week on average.



Like a lot of people who started blogging a long time ago, I now post on social media quite a few things about which I would formerly compose a blog post. Once in a while, there is something I want to write about in an extended way and so make recourse to this cyberspace.

Lately, I've been thinking I need to do more blogging and spend less time on social media. We'll see what the rest of this month and early 2023 brings. I do think maintaining a blog is worthwhile. If not for others, then it is for me. Blogging has been a means of growth for me. Writing is a way to materialize what I think.

Oh sure, there were times when I was on the verge of being a really popular Catholic blogger. I am equally sure that isn't what I aim for with my modest efforts here.

I appreciate those who read what I write. I am grateful for the occasional comments I receive on my posts. I don't envision quitting this endeavor in the foreseeable future.

3 comments:

  1. Please do not quit. Blogging is our way of spreading God's Word.

    I Blog, and then post the URL (address) of my post on other social media. This way people from other media like MeWe or Twitter visit my Blog.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, thank you. I appreciate your encouragement. I agree with you and do the same, providing a link and preview to my posts on Facebook, Twitter, and MeWe, including on your wonderful page on the latter platform.

      These days, I am more careful about what I post here. This is a good thing. Way back, when I was finding my feet, so to speak, I kind of posted on anything and everything. Doing that helped me, not just on this medium, but to be a better writer.

      As I mentioned in the post, I plan to continue.

      Delete
    2. Many thanx for your response, Deacon. We Christians have a duty and responsibility to spread God's Word in an ever secular world. Over here in the UK less than 50% claim to be Christian, and regular church attendance (all denominations) is less than 5% of the population. Christianity and belief in God is often mocked on TV by celebrities, comedians, intellectuals and other opinion formers.

      God bless always.

      Delete

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...