Friday, July 15, 2022

"Remember, O Blessed Virgin Mary..."

We had a nice, extended rain storm here today. We needed it! I am very grateful for it. I've developed the practice of praying a Memorare whenever I see clouds that look like they might produce rain. Of course, my specific intention is for rain. I can't claim 100% success. But, there's been an encouragingly high correlation. I must admit, we did have one storm blow completely over us with no rain where I live. Hey, it can't hurt, right?



Here along the Wasatch Front, we've entered that period of the year, which runs from about July 4th through about the third week of August. During this time it is hot and dry. So, rain today is a nice change, even the ~30% humidity following. I know, 30% humidity is not that much humidity. It is when you live in the desert. I hope we continue to receive rain at regular intervals. Heaven knows we need it.

Maybe I have some kind of reverse seasonal affective disorder. It's during this time that I really struggle with gloom. I also find the dry heat very draining. I finish most days exhausted. I am finally starting to see sunflowers! It's strange how happy seeing a sunflower makes me, particularly those that just pop up in strange places. Sometime I should write about why sunflowers make me so happy.

I am doing a pretty good job of sticking to my plan to make July a "slack" month. This means not taking on anything over and above my routine duties and responsibilities. I could grow accustomed to this!

It's kind of sad, but I haven't listened to much music lately. I have been listening to Phil Keaggy's 1993 album Crimson and Blue. It's an LP to which I keep returning. I remember buying it brand now on cassette tape. So, our traditio for today is a song from that album: "Everywhere I Look." Today, for me, that would be especially in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...