Friday, September 17, 2021

"I've got twice the memories weighing down my heart"

At least where I live, September means longer nights, cooler temperatures, and still plenty of sunshine. Without a doubt, the next sixty days or so are my favorite time of the year. Today finds me in Southern Utah. I am currently in Cedar City, where I am spending the night. I have an appointment later today down the road in Saint George. It's back home tomorrow.

On Monday, I leave for a trip to Northern New Mexico. So, a lot of miles over the next week. It's good to getaway. I need it. While I have a companion on this trip, my drive to New Mexico and back will be by myself. I plan to stop in Cortez, Colorado on my way and on my way home. Both trips are in my capacity as Director of the Office of the Diaconate for the Diocese of Salt Lake City.



Anyway, that's what I am up to. In the wake of seeing Colin Hay live a few weeks back, I purchased two of his albums: 2017's Fierce Mercy and his album of covers, which, like Fierce Mercy, is fantastic: I Don't Know What To Do With Myself. Hay's album of covers was recorded earlier this year. The title of this is the title of the first cut, which was written by Burt Bacharach and originally sung by Dusty Springfield. As of this writing, my favorite song on I Don't Know What To Do With Myself is The Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset."

There are so many songs on both albums that would be great choices for our Friday traditio this week. At least for this week, I am sticking with Hay's original music. While Hay either co-wrote or wrote the songs on Fierce Mercy, the song I chose this week is "Two Friends," written by Michael Georgiades: "Two Friends."

While I didn't have two friends who died in the same week, two friends died this past summer. Even as someone who believes in the resurrection- faith is not knowledge- I have a hard time with death. Like everyone else, I suppose, the older I get the more people who I love pass on (I don't apologize for using that hopeful phrase). The flower of faith is hope. This is what these lyrics from our traditio point to:
What I feel is emptiness
It'll fade over time I guess
Sometimes there's a price to pay for love
And we'll just carry on
With the promise of a brighter dawn
There is no greater gift than love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...