Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Day: a reflection on choosing (to) love

To state that Valentine's Day is a minor holiday for me is to overstate the importance I attach to the day. I suppose taking a day to celebrate romantic love is not necessarily a bad thing. That said, I don't mind admitting I have a very complicated relationship with romantic love. You see, as a young man, most of my "love" was unrequited or even flat-out rejected. Let's just say I was never a ladies man of any sort. That's alright because, frankly, I never wanted to be one.

Oddly, these experiences, painful as they were during my adolescence, enabled me to be friends with women. Frankly, some of my best friends, even now, are women. I am always puzzled by people who insist that men and women cannot or, more importantly, should not be personal friends. I disagree heartily. Besides, I am not so vain as to think all women are magnetically attracted to me, not by a long shot! Of course, this also holds true for my male friends who are gay. Nonetheless, as I moved into my twenties, began my university studies, and became Catholic, I more or less gave up on "love."

Then, just as I was on the verge of entering the Dominican House of Studies in Oakland, California, I met someone. This someone, oddly enough, was interested in me. Yes, me. It was a very disorienting experience. Like all important things in my life, this conundrum was not resolved quickly. For the next two-plus years I teetered between joining a religious order and entering into the sacrament of matrimony. At one point, I broke off my relationship, determined to pursue the former.



The difficulty I had discerning arose from the fact that I was faced with the choice between two very good things. I remember how the answer came. Late one night, as I studied, my mind drifted. It dawned on me that I was free to decide. It was my choice. In retrospect, I am not sure why I thought there is one choice right for me and the other one wrong. Even slightly more whacky was the thought I had that somehow, someway, God would make clear to me, crystal clear, which was right and which was wrong for me.

Looking back at it all nearly thirty years later, there was no wrong choice, even for me. I must say that being married and being a parent, neither of which comes very naturally to me, making me mediocre at either when I am at my very best, have probably been a better school of love for me than religious would've been. I think I would've taken to life as a member of a religious order with an active apostolate like a duck to water. My relationship to married life, on the other hand, is more like that of a fish to dry land.

I am glad I chose what for me is the more difficult path. I have no doubt that Christ has been with me, especially in my self-recognized failures. Helping me with the aid of his Holy Spirit to love others, my wife, my children, like he loves me.

My diaconal vocation is not a consolation prize for not choosing priesthood and religious life. On the contrary, my vocation as a deacon arose organically from my prior participation in the sacrament of matrimony. I was pretty far into diaconal formation before I committed to being ordained a deacon. I am a much better deacon for being a husband and a father than I would otherwise be (not that I am a great deacon- but I do take my vocation seriously).

Anyway, I wish you all a happy liturgical memorial of Saints Cyril & Methodius (Saint Valentine did not make it onto the liturgical calendar after the Second Vatican Council).

What else would our Friday traditio for today be but Ol' Blue Eyes singing "Love and Marriage"?

4 comments:

  1. Two points:

    1 - Great article. You make a good point about being married and having a vocation (as a priest). Our Church has still to clarify its thoughts on this especially since, here in the UK, they have welcomed married priests from the Anglican Church as Catholic priests.

    2 - I thought St Valentine was the Patron Saint of Chocolates and not Saints Cyril & Methodius.

    I wonder if you'd agree with my Valentine thoughts on my Blog today.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor, I agree with 1- for sure. I would add that I do not have the vocation to priesthood. Whether other married deacons might feel so called or not I cannot say. I would certainly agree that celibacy is most definitely not inherent to the priesthood. I think the Amazon Synod and its aftermath will bring this question to the fore, especially as we face more and more situations in which we continue to privilege celibacy over access to the sacraments, especially the Eucharist.

    Valentine is, indeed, patron of chocolates, lingerie, and edible underwear. He's a bit naughty, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for your response, Deacon. Please forgive me if I return again.

      The question of celibacy has long vexed the Church with people making the point that St Peter was married and Christ never made celibacy a condition to being His follower. (I know St Paul had different ideas in his letter to the Corinthians (Chapter 7). https://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2019/03/understanding-st-pauls-letter-to.html

      You may be interested to know that I wrote a novel about Catholic priests' celibacy entitled "To Love A Priest".
      https://www.amazon.com/Love-Priest-Victor-S-Moubarak-ebook/dp/B00RQE4IEW/ref=sr_1_8?qid=1581764483&refinements=p_27%3AVictor+S+E+Moubarak&s=books&sr=1-8&text=Victor+S+E+Moubarak

      Thanx for your good works on your Blog and on MeWE.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. Return as often you like. I will read your post. I also put your blog in my "Blogs I Like" section.

      Thanks your work, my friend. I wish I was half as imaginative as you are!

      Delete

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...