Friday, May 23, 2014

"To see my love wed to another"

In the great Christian spiritual classic by Julian of Norwich, Revelations of Divine Love, we find this passage:
In my folly, before this time I often wondered why, by the great foreseeing wisdom of God, the onset of sin was not prevented: for then, I thought, all should have been well. This impulse [of thought] was much to be avoided, but nevertheless I mourned and sorrowed because of it, without reason and discretion.



But Jesus, who in this vision informed me of all that is needed by me, answered with these words and said: "It was necessary that there should be sin; but all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.'

These words were said most tenderly, showing no manner of blame to me nor to any who shall be saved
Then, of course, it was St. Paul who wrote: "We know that all things work for good for those who love God,* who are called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28)

I think the lesson here is provided by a quote I have seen here and there: "Everything will be alright in the end. So, if it's not alright, it isn't the end." As a Christian, I think if you don't believe that you have no idea how much you are loved.

It's Spring. It's still Easter. So, not forgetting that the end will be a wedding banquet, when the Bridegroom will return for His Bride, Emmylou Harris with The Chieftains singing "Lambs on the green hills" is our Friday traditio:



The bride and bride's party to church they did go
The bride she rode foremost, she bears the best show
But I followed after with my heart full of woe
To see my love wed to another

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...