Friday, January 18, 2013

"A heaven, a gateway, a hope"

For some reason "Temptation" by New Order (i.e., Joy Division reincarnated after the untimely suicide of Ian Curtis) struck me as a great Friday traditio for this January day in the first week of Ordinary Time. By way of a brief explanation, the aptness of my choice is largely due to my realization that, with Easter falling on the last day of March this year, Lent (already) draws neigh. So I offer this live performance in New York City way back in 1981. Because for my previous post I dug into the Καθολικός διάκονος archives, I'll do so here as well: "Surrendered to self preservation" Lord save me!- one of my more self-revealing posts.



Each way I turn, I know I'll always try
To break this circle that's been placed around me
From time to time I find I've lost some need
That was urgent to myself I do believe


Unpacking the lyrics above, at least for me, while losing "some need" has often been a matter of urgency for me, it is only by acknowledging my need as fully as I can that "break the circle placed all around me."



It is amazing to me that this is 2,400th post on Καθολικός διάκονος.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...