Friday, May 25, 2012

The surety of confident silence



“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. 'Pooh?' he whispered.

"'Yes, Piglet?'

"'Nothing,' said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. 'I just wanted to be sure of you.'"

This post is a collaborative effort between A.A. Milne, my lovely friends Marymargaret and Lara Serene, and me. I guess you could call this sentimentality, but it is really nostos algos, a longing for home.

"The Greek word for 'return' is nostos. Algos means 'suffering'. So nostalgia is the suffering caused by an unappeased yearning to return" (Milan Kundera). If I were forced to pick a musical selection for this today, it would have to be There is a light that never goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...