Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A short take on reality

This morning in my devotional reading I came across something very timely that struck me with great force: the defining characteristic of sin is that sin can be forgiven. Of course, sin is not automatically forgiven, but it is always already forgiven. So, what is required for sin to be forgiven, or for me to realize the forgiveness that is always already mine in and through Jesus Christ? Well, recognition that I sinned is a good place to start, then contrition. I read the following yesterday morning by the Desert Father, Abba Poeman: "I prefer a man who sins and repents to one who does not sin and does not repent. The first has good thoughts, for he admits that he is sinful. But the second has false, soul-destroying thoughts, for he imagines himself to be righteous.”

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:18). More importantly, "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Rom. 5:8).

In this regard, Lawrence Cunningham noted "that faith should not be mistaken for therapy" and "should serve, at the same time, to upset and give hope."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to my friend, Fran Rossi Szpylczyn, I have discovered your blog. Thanks for your thoughts. I am also a fellow deacon blogger; you can read mine at deaconjnh.blogspot.com. I'd be interested in your reaction. God bless your ministry.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...