Saturday, August 15, 2020

Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

It would seem strange not to post something for the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Like yesterday, I don't have a distinct idea to communicate. So, this is a sort of free-form post- gonzo diaconal blogging.

Again, without bragging, I am one of those Catholics who prays the Rosary every day. I usually pray it during my morning walk. Since my wife often accompanies me on this morning excursions, we frequently pray it together, out loud, as we walk. Of course, living in Utah, this sometimes prompts odd glances from our fellow walkers.

Whenever someone asks me prayers, most often I immediately offer a Memorare for the specific intention. When warranted, I incorporate this intention into my Rosary intentions. In short, I find that entrusting these things to our Blessed Mother is a good way to go.

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Guido Reni, 1637

I have my own order in which I pray the mysteries of the Blessed Virgin's Rosary throughout the week: Monday- Joyful; Tuesday- Luminous; Wednesday- Sorrowful; Thursday- Glorious; Friday- Sorrowful; Saturday- mysteries of my choosing; Sunday- Glorious. During the Octaves of Easter & Christmas, I pray the Glorious & Joyful mysteries respectively each day. On Saturdays of Advent & Christmas, I pray the Joyful mysteries. On the Saturdays of Lent, I go with the Sorrowful mysteries. Saturdays of Easter, I pray the Glorious mysteries. I also alter my routine to pray mysteries most suited to a particular solemnity or feast.

Today, for example, I will pray the Glorious mysteries. The fourth Glorious mystery is Mary's bodily assumption into heaven. The fruit of this mystery is the grace of a happy death.

When praying the Sorrowful mysteries by myself, I pray an Act Contrition before each Our Father. When praying the Glorious mysteries, I add a Memorare before the Our Father after the fifth mystery, which is the Blessed Virgin's coronation as Queen of Heaven, the fruit of which is trust in her intercession.

Mary's assumption is a glimpse of the glory God has in store for us, a result of Christ's resurrection. The Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary- known as her "Dormition" among many Eastern Christians- is one of those observances that pre-dates the Church's fracture. This makes it a day of Christian unity. As Mater ecclesiae, I am certain this makes her very happy.

Those Christians who do not hyper-venerate Mary are, well, peculiar. Even the major reformers (i.e., Luther, Calvin, and Cranmer) venerated the Blessed Virgin even while seeking t curb what they viewed as excesses in Marian devotion. Hyper-veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a hallmark of an Apostolic Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...