Tuesday, August 4, 2020

From apologetics to evangelization

Last week Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, in the context of making a point about the predominance of white and male statutes in the statuary of the United States Capitol, took issue with the presence of a statue of Saint Damien of Molokai. She used Saint Damien as her case-in-point. I agree that "[AOC] picked the wrong statue to criticize." Besides being a witness to Christ-like love, De Veuster (i.e., Damien) stands in stark contrast to the brutal colonialism Belgium unleashed in the Congo under King Leopold II.

Frankly, I am more disheartened by the Catholic response, beginning with Bishop Barron's hastily posted video (see "Catholic bishop fires back at AOC for disparaging Catholic saint who gave life serving people with leprosy"). I have to admit that in the heat of the initial moment, I expressed approval of Bishop Barron's reply. So, I understand the urge to react. In and of itself, Bishop Barron's video did not really castigate Rep. Ocasio-Cortez. In true apologetic fashion, it struck me as being targeted to others who were also offended.

Since I am trying to be honest, I don't mind admitting that I sometimes agree with AOC but not always. I would be hard-pressed to think of anyone I agree with all the time. I certainly disagree with her on the issue of abortion. On balance, I do not find the GOP much, if any more, pro-life than the DNC. While opposition to abortion is necessary, in and of itself it is insufficient for considering one's self pro-life. This why, adhering to Church teaching, I use prudential judgment and proportional reasoning when voting.

AOC is young and a bit inexperienced. Therefore, her rhetoric is sometimes over-heated. As a result, the good points she tries to make can be lost in the ensuing dust-up. This episode puts that very much on display. I would also add that Rep. Ocasio-Cortez is Roman Catholic.

As a Catholic, as a deacon, as a Christian, it is becoming obvious to me that until the Church in the U.S. moves from maintenance to mission, from apologetics, which is mostly preaching to the choir, to evangelization, we're stuck. By its nature, apologetics is defensive and backward-looking. Evangelization, by contrast, is about now and looking to the future. Among other things, evangelization requires humility and the ability to listen. Otherwise, we'll keep answering questions nobody asks.

Saint Damien of Molokai

Appearing thin-skinned and sensitive is not a mode of Christian witness. It is anti-witness. I am willing to bet that most Catholics who reacted negatively to Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's remarks about Saint Damien could not articulate her overarching point. They were too busy being offended by her poor choice of an example. Somehow, I don't think Saint Damien is very bothered by any of this.

Isn't bearing wrongs patiently one of the spiritual works of mercy? This is not to say it is wrong to draw attention to Damien's witness in the wake of AOC's remarks. But I think recognizing the validity of what she was trying to communicate comprises a necessary part of any Catholic response.

Even though it's only been a few months less than seven years, it seems to me that U.S. Catholics either need to reread or read Pope Francis's inaugural Apostolic Exhortation, Evangelii Gaudium. Perhaps we should also revisit Pope Saint Paul VI's Evangelii Nuntiandi, along with Populorum Progesso and Laudato Si'.

As Paul VI pointed out: "for the Church, the first means of evangelization is the witness of an authentically Christian life, given over to God in a communion that nothing should destroy and at the same time given to one's neighbor with limitless zeal. As we said recently to a group of lay people, 'Modern man listens more willingly to witnesses than to teachers, and if he does listen to teachers, it is because they are witnesses'" (Evangelii Nuntiandi, sec. 41).

Personally, I don't care if there isn't one statue of a Catholic saint in the nation's Capitol. If we're going to have such statues, I suggest Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini.

Saint Damien of Molokai, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...