Friday, February 28, 2020

First Friday of Lent

During Lent, I hope to take some time to re-think what happens in this cyber-space, when it happens, as well as how often it happens. I realize that blogging is now an old from of new media, which is fine. At least to me and for now, it seems like something worth doing. I will still post my homilies and reflections on the Sunday readings on those weeks I don't preach. I may add a note here or there on spirituality, theology, politics, philosophy, or any number of topics. I am thinking about posting something mid-week instead of on Fridays. The traditio may go.



I was slated to spend most of the next two weeks in Rome. But I am not going due to concerns over the worldwide outbreak of the coronavirus. With children still at home, the possibility of being quarantined for two weeks beyond the time we were going to gone was not a risk we felt we could take. Keep in mind, Italy is one of the countries that is dealing with this disease, which I expect to be declared a pandemic. While I was a little anxious about the trip, I was starting to get excited. Hopefully, we can recoup some of our loss and make it another time in the not-too-distant future.

I am giving up going to Rome for Lent. So, apart from fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday as well as abstaining from meat on Lenten Fridays (I abstain from meat on Fridays year around, except on solemnities and during the octaves of Easter and Christmas) and contributing to the Lenten Rice Bowl, I don't plan to give up anything else or, frankly, take up much else this year for Lent.

At least to some extent and relative to past years, I am giving up Lent for Lent. Besides, given the start we're off to in 2020, life has a kind of Lenten feel for me right now.

While I've used it before, albeit years ago, I think U2's "Walk On" is a good, very good, traditio for this First Friday of Lent.



3 comments:

  1. Yes, blogging seems to be old fashioned these days. Probably because today's generation wants everything extra instant right now with no waiting - hence texting and twittering and so on. But there is still room for blogging. There is still room for good posts like yours. The world is already too sad and it needs up-lifting Christian blogs to brighten the Way. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan to me.

    And "...life has a kind of Lenten feel..." reminds me of my wife's recent observation: that this family's assorted chemical intolerances and the diet restrictions they impose provide us with a sort of year-round Lent.

    Sorry to hear about Rome - - - sounds like you made a prudent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a year round Lent. God bless you all.

    I am disappointed but do not regret the decision.

    ReplyDelete

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...