Friday, June 6, 2014

"Got a ticket to my destination"

Another week without posting. Hence, this is my first post for the month of June. I have several things in the works. I decided beforehand not to post much during Easter. I made that decision for no reason other than I knew I would be busy. I have been even busier than anticipated. I spent the past week in Georgia and Alabama. While humid, northern Alabama is lovely. I just arrived home about an hour ago.

Reading Walker Percy's treatment of semiotics in Lost in the Cosmos took me back and moved me ahead. Something good will come of that I am certain.
My own conviction is that semiotics provides an escape from the solipsist prison by its stress on the social origins of language--you have to point to an apple and name it for me before I know there is such a thing--and the existence of a world of apples outside ourselves
Since language is how we, as human beings, access reality, it's a short-to-medium leap from this to, "One person is no person." As a Christian there's no better marker for that than the triune nature of God, which we will celebrate a week from tomorrow.

Ferdinand de Saussure

In honor of my homecoming today, Jack's Mannequin covering Simon & Garfunkel's "Homeward Bound" is our Friday traditio. There's an f-bomb in the pre-song introduction. So, if you're bothered by that you can take a pass:



And each town looks the same to me, the movies and the factories
And ev'ry stranger's face I see reminds me that I long to be,
Homeward bound,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...