Once again this week I teetered on not posting. Maybe it's late summer malaise. If so, it is exacerbated by coming to grips with so many things that are happening.
I've been thinking a lot lately about vulnerability. Like a lot words, "vulnerability" has taken onboard a lot of added meaning. We talk about the need to protect vulnerable people, as we should. "Vulnerable" in that sense seems a straightforward use of the word.
We also talk about "being vulnerable," making ourselves vulnerable. This is almost always spoken about as if it's something ought or even need to do. This rather expands the word.
As to the encouragement to make one's self vulnerable, in the first place, I would say that to be alive is to be vulernable. It's easy to argue that is vulnerable enough! How much more vulnerable do you want to make yourself?
Well, to love is to make yourself vulnerable. I daresay most of us have had our hearts broken and not only by lovers but perhaps by parents, children, friends, fellow believers. Love is a risk. If the risk was removed, would it be, could it be, love?
All of this is a wind up to stating the reality that going into ministry, when done with proper awareness and discernment, is to make yourself quite vulnerable. Like marriage, this should scare you a bit. This is also why sometimes those in ministry can seem a little gun shy at times.
I sometimes think I try too hard to tie things up with neat little bows. I am going to do that today, on this penitential Friday.
Our very late traditio, which I had ready on Friday, is Colin Hays' cover of Stevie Winwood's "Can't Find My Way Home."
Blogito ergo sum! Actually, as N.T. Wright averred, "'Amor, ergo sum:' I am loved, therefore I am." Among other things, I am a Roman Catholic deacon. This is a public cyberspace in which I seek to foster Christian discipleship in the late modern milieu in the diakonia of koinonia and in the recognition that "the Eucharist is the only place of resistance to annihilation of the human subject."
Sunday, August 16, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mercy unbounded
Readings: Isaiah 56:1.6-7; Psalm 67:2-3.5-6.8; Romans 11:13-15.29-32; Matthew 15:21-28 An important aspect of today's Gospel that is ...
-
It is time to introduce yet another member of my community of the heart. Yesterday I mentioned that the theology of Hans Urs von Balthasar w...
-
Recently I have been asked several times about remarriage and the permanent diaconate. In the present state-of-affairs, which may eventually...
-
Because my parish celebrated Mass in the evening instead of in the morning today, I was able to assist my pastor at the altar on this Memori...

No comments:
Post a Comment