Sunday, January 8, 2023

Epiphany

Ephesians 3:2-3a.5-6

Over the years, I have intentionally become less vocal about certain things. One of those things is the liturgical end of the Christmas season here in the United States. I would like to see Epiphany moved back to its fixed date of 6 January, thirteen days after Christmas, from its current observance on the second Sunday after Christmas. Rather than Christmas ending on the Feast of the Lord's Baptism, I would like for 6 January to bring the liturgical season of Christmas to a close. This year is a prime case in point: Epiphany is today and the Feast of the Lord's Baptism is tomorrow. As a result, the season of Christmas will end, liturgically, with a clunk instead of a bang.

But, oh well. So much for that. I certainly defer to our bishops and enjoy the Christmas season a lot.

On another side note, I realize that this is only my second post of this year. I am still trying to figure out a good flow. At the same time, I am not putting any pressure on myself about posting. I am busy, very busy and life must come first. Be assured that I will continue here. It's difficult for me at this point to conceive of life without at least some blogging.



This brings me to Epiphany. Epiphany, which is Greek in origin, refers to an unveiling, a manifestation. Before the last Mass for today's solemnity at my parish, I had a wonderful discussion with one of our best lectors. He is one of those who understands the ministry of lector in its totality, which is refreshing. He was telling me about going over today's New Testament reading this week, which is a passage from the Letter to the Ephesians. He described to me how worked on it so he could proclaim it correctly, thus bringing forth its meaning. I must say, both in understanding and execution, he nailed it.

What is the mystery made known by revelation and entrusted to the inspired author? Before we get to that, let's recall that theologically speaking, a "mystery" is not something unknown but something made known through revelation. Divinely revealed mysteries cannot be known in their entirety- they are fathomless. But we can grasp them and, over time, not just understand them ever more deeply but appropriate them, thus letting God's grace transform and reform us. The mystery is this: "That the Gentiles are coheirs, members of the same body, and copartners in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel."

Being a member of God's People is a matter of faith, not of blood. Hence, anyone can join! This is good news! It is what the magi dramatically show us. These magi also symbolize humanity's search for God. It is what our prophetic oracle from the Book of Isaiah foretells. This is what we "tell... on the mountains, over the hills, and everywhere- that Jesus Christ is born." Jesus Christ is the new and everlasting covenant. It is he who opens the one covenant up to everyone.

We're accustomed to mixing and matching Matthew's nativity narrative with Luke's. But, sticking with Matthew, it is the magi, all of whom are Gentiles, who first pay homage to "the newborn king of the Jews." Jesus Christ, by the power and working of the Holy Spirit, is how God transcends all that divides broken humanity. We live out of and live out this mystery. Living out this mystery is how we continue to make God manifest to all people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of Holy Week

Readings: Isaiah 42:1-7; Psalm 27:1-3.13-14; John 12:1-11 Being nine months to the day before Christmas, normally today we would mark the...