Wednesday, November 11, 2020

"Jesus can you take the time..."- a birthday reflection

Feast of Saint Martin of Tours, Armistice Day, Veteran's Day, my birthday. Today I am fifty-five (55) years old! It hardly seems possible. In years past I have posted on my birthday. I have often written something very long. As a result, I sometimes feel like I've said most if not all of what I have to say and worry about repeating myself, going in a big (or small) circle.

As most people who have long since crossed the threshold of middle age know, the way you approach your birthday changes. I don't think it becomes less significant. Rather, I think it becomes more significant, which is why you don't require so much fanfare. It becomes more than enough that people remember and, by wishing you "Happy birthday!," affirm your existence in the world.

As I mentioned on my fiftieth birthday, it's not so much that I feel old as it is I can no longer think of myself as young. Perhaps I'll live long enough to think of myself as an old man. I am not there yet. By "not young" I refer to my awareness that I likely have more years behind me than in front of me. I suppose I could live to be 110. Frankly, I am not sure I want to live to be that old. One hundred, perhaps.

Given the convergences that happen on this day, which I mentioned at the beginning, I always pray for peace on my birthday. Man, do we need peace more now than ever!

Saint Martin of Tours, who, along with Saint Stephen, is my patron saint, on this your feast day, pray for us.

I love the relief below. It is Saint Martin of Tours depicted as a WWI British soldier. It was composed by the English artist Eric Gill. Yes, I know Gill is a controversial figure and a very tortured soul (see "The Cruciform Shape of Art: The Intersection of Faith and Life").

Bas relief of Saint Martin of Tours giving hi cloak to a beggar, by Eric Gill, 1935



I know there is a lot to keep track of in this busy, interconnected world. It's important for me not lose track of my fellow veterans who were traumatized by combat, those who are homeless, addicted, and those who have taken their own lives because they couldn't live with themselves. There's more of these than you're led to believe on days like today. I think this adds a necessary sobriety to Veteran's Day. War is hell on everyone involved and it unleashes hell on the earth.

Anyway, as always, I have several resolutions. Who knows, maybe I'll keep one or two?

As I wrote last Friday, I purchased the double-disk 20th-anniversary edition of U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind album. I've thoroughly enjoyed listening and re-listening to it this past week. It seems only fitting to post an appropriate, out-of-synch, traditio for my birthday. Given the focus I place on peace, which I know begins with me, on my birthday "Peace On Earth" seems like a good choice. I love the children's illustrations that comprise the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...