Friday, November 1, 2019

I need to stop trying so hard

Since I posted my homily for All Saints today, I was up-in-the-air about putting up a Friday traditio. Unless I felt inspired by something I decided not post one. In the interim, I went for a long walk. As I walked I listened to music. Even though I ordered the CD earlier this week (I still do that- weird, I know), I decided to give Amy Grant's 2013 album, How Mercy Looks From Here, a listen. I was not disappointed. The critics were right: How Mercy Looks From Here is a lovely album, a work that beautifully highlights the maturity of the artist.

Before I get to what inspired me to post a traditio today, I need to point out the obvious: It's November! The month begins with All Saints and All Souls, followed by my birthday, which falls on the Feast of St. Martin of Tours, before ending with the great Solemnity of Jesus Christ, King of the Universe, our annual celebration of the end of the world as we know it.



The beginning of November marks the time each year for me to reflect on the past year. In all honesty, I kind of lost the bubble on some important things towards the end of summer. This put me in some peril. As a result, some course corrections are in order. I need to pare back in certain areas and devote more time and energy to other people and activities. Above all, I must try to let go of what I find vexing, all that unnecessarily complicates my life, things that distract me from the things that really matter.

In doing so, I need to leave space for God to work. God is a God of surprises, n'est ce pas? Besides, life is what happens while you're making plans, right?

On the whole, I feel grateful as I look back on another year of life. I look forward to another year if God so wills it. One of the wonderful things about being a Christian is that Christ calls me ever forward, moves me along, seeking to make me ever more fit for the coming of the kingdom.

The Lord never lets me forget, at least not for long, that I am on a pilgrimage. I am often reminded that I need companions along the way. "Companion" literally refers to someone with whom you share bread. The Church, then, is necessary, not extraneous. Time to live more sub specie aeternitatus (i.e., under the aspect of eternity).

Back to our traditio- there was one song off How Mercy Looks From Here that particularly struck me today: "Don't Try So Hard." I was pleasantly surprised that none other than James Taylor is featured singing with Amy on this track! It is a reminder of God's grace, something on which I wholly rely and that I cannot earn.

In case you didn't know it, I am one of those people who strive and strive all the while feeling like I'll never measure up. Too often I place my entire worth in achieving. Hence, even when I perform well, I often still feel worthless. The song poses this question: "When did we start, trying to measure up?" I started so long ago I can't remember.



The chorus of "Don't Try So Hard" conveys a really beautiful message, one I needed to hear today:
Don't try so hard
God gives you grace and you can't earn it
Don't think that you're not worth it
Because you are
He gave you His love and He's not leaving
Gave you His Son so you'd believe it
You're lovely even with your scars
Don't try so hard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...