Friday, October 25, 2019

God's mercy is the ultimate goodness

Writing takes patience. One of the reasons I haven't been writing more is that I lack the required patience. God knows I haven't run out of things to say. I gave up trying to comment on current affairs a number of years ago, just as I gave up trying to post something everyday. Frankly, in this age of so-called "new media" we have plenty of pundits.

For the past few years I have mostly focused on posting a Friday traditio and a reflection on the Sunday readings. Here and there I'll post other insights. This morning I was thinking about what I might post today. I wanted to post something on this last Friday of October. Again, I have no shortage of thoughts religious, political, philosophical, relational about which I could write. It's having the patience and time to flesh them out into something coherent and perhaps even meaningful to someone apart from myself.



Musically I have been on a contemporary Christian music jag. Mostly this consists of listening to artists and songs from my early days as a Christian. There are four primary artists whose work I love: Michael Card, Amy Grant, Rich Mullins, and Phil Keaggy. I will also cop to liking Michael W. Smith, Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Third Day and a number of others. Among younger artists I really like Lauren Daigle, with whose music I am just now becoming familiar.

Hopefully, it's a case of looking forward by looking behind- one step back and two forward- and not just a sentimental journey.

There is one artist whose recent work I find myself listening to time and again: Greg LaFollette. Particularly his album Songs of Common Prayer, which is a contemporary take on parts of the liturgy from the Book of Common Prayer. Since today is Friday and I endeavor, in my weakness, to observe Friday in the traditional way, as a day of penance, it seems fitting to have LaFollette's "We Cry Mercy" as our Friday traditio:



Invoking God's mercy, God's lovingkindness, God's hesed is not an act of lament but one of gratitude and celebration. I came across this prayer yesterday, I leave you with it:

May the God of all forgiveness
free you this day
and enable you
to freely forgive others
in the name of the Father,
the Son, and the Holy Spirit
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...