Friday, February 10, 2017

Separation from my beloved makes me sad

I have been utterly terrible about a Friday traditio so far this year. Part of that has to do with being away from home for the past three weeks with limited internet access, part of it has to with the fact that, due to circumstances, I haven't been listening to much music lately, and it has partly to do with working on the frequency and quality of what I post here. With all that in mind, I felt pretty determined to post a traditio today.



Fortunately, I did not have dig deep to figure out what I might post. Jesus and Mary Chain, a Scottish band that came to prominence in U.S. in the late eighties, has been back in the studio. Their new album is Damage and Joy. Since I prayed my "Jesus and Mary chain" today walking to class, it seems fitting.

Their album Darklands remains a favorite. You can listen to the whole album here.

"Always Sad," off Damage and Joy, is our Friday tradition. While I am at times afflicted with the Celtic gloom, I am not always sad. I need to frequently remind myself to take life's consolations when and where I can. Much of the time, though not always for someone like me, happiness is a choice. In fact, the thought of being reunited with sweetheart tomorrow on her birthday makes me very happy, not to mention excited. To paraphrase the song- my lovely wife is the best I've ever had, it seems we've been a million miles away and, on at least a few days during our separation, being away from her has made me sad:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...