Saturday, October 1, 2016

Visions of Scuppers: Doing the things that matter

It's funny what sticks with you your practically your entire life. I checked out The Sailor Dog from the Davis County Bookmobile when I was 6 or 7 years old. Scuppers is the protagonist of the story. He longs only to sail the seas looking for God knows what. The Bookmobile was a library on wheels. Until I was 10 years-old my family lived in South Weber, Utah, which was then a small, fairly rural town. I read it, re-read it, turned it in, and checked it out again.

I spotted this recently in Salt Lake City and snapped a photo


Several years ago I found and bought a copy of The Sailor Dog. I keep it in the top drawer of my nightstand. I can't remember why I found it so enchanting when I was small, but it's a book I cherish. I read it to my little guys. They indulge me, but it doesn't resonate with them the way it for me, which is fine. They all read a lot. I am sure they will discover their own imagination-capturing tales that nourish their souls.

A book that launched my imagination- explains a lot probably

After my 3 week residency at Mount Angel Abbey/Seminary, Oregon, this summer, my family drove up for a short vacation. We spent the first night and the following morning in beautiful Lincoln, City, Oregon. The pictures below were taken during our visit to the beach early Saturday morning. Spending that morning on the beach allowed me to enter into the imaginary tale:

Scanning the horizon, something I do every day


With my little guys- I have a big one who stayed home


Before you know it


This is the text from the last page of the book, appearing under the title HIS SONG:
I am Scuppers the Sailor Dog -
I am Scuppers the Sailor Dog -
I can sail in gale
right over a whale
under full sail
in a fog

I am Scuppers the Sailor Dog -
I am Scuppers the Sailor Dog -
with a shake and a snort
I can sail into port
under full sail
in a fog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...