Friday, February 6, 2015

"Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight"

It's difficult to believe that the first week of February is nearly over. It seems impossible to me that it's time to post another traditio. This week, again, I am sticking with posting a contemporary Christian song, well, a contemporary version of ancient Christian song that was contemporary in the 8th century. It's no exaggeration to point out that Michael Card's music, over the years, has given me much spiritual succor and strength.



Our traditio for this First Friday of February (quite alliterative) is Michael Card singing the lovely hymn, "Be Thou My Vision" from his wonderful album Starkindler. It is reckoned that this Celtic hymn (originally Rob tu mo bhoile, a Com­di cri­de) was composed all the way back in the 8th century by Dal­lan For­gaill. It was trans­lat­ed from an­cient Ir­ish into Eng­lish in 1905 by Ma­ry Byrne, in Eriú, Jour­nal of the School of Ir­ish Learn­ing. It was set to verse by El­ea­nor Hull around 1912.



Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...