Friday, March 21, 2014

"Living, He loved me/Dying, He saved me"

I hate to harsh anyone's buzz, but Lent is a time of hope, not of despair. My bishop, John Wester, issued what I think is a wonderful Lenten message for this year. He begins by reminding us that Lent is the time we prepare to celebrate the Lord's resurrection at Easter. Most importantly, at least for me, he reminded us, "There is nothing I can do to enhance or improve on that salvific act of love that came about when God the Father gave us his only Son, who in turn suffered, died and rose again so that we might have life eternal."



I have recently had the great grace to be reminded in powerful ways of the love the Father has for me, poured out for me in the precious body and blood of His Son, my Lord, Jesus Christ, and poured into my heart by the Holy Spirit. When I consider how undeserving I am for what Christ did for me, God's great love stuns me. On the one hand, I can't believe it. On the other, it is so real that it makes me fall on my face.

I can't really think of another Friday traditio than Casting Crowns' "Glorious Day (Living He Loved Me)"



One day they led Him up Calvary's mountain/
One day they nailed Him to die on a tree/
Suffering anguish, despised and rejected/
Bearing our sins, my Redeemer is He/
Hands that healed nations, stretched out on a tree
And took the nails for me


I urge you to take a break and let God's love wash over you. At least for me, the love of God is the only thing that makes everything, good or bad, worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of Holy Week

Readings: Isaiah 42:1-7; Psalm 27:1-3.13-14; John 12:1-11 Being nine months to the day before Christmas, normally today we would mark the...