Thursday, September 18, 2008

"if the basis of all that exists were but a confusedly fermenting element . . ."

Re: Søren allusion from yesterday: "I'll say God seems to have a kind of laid-back management style I'm not crazy about. I'm pretty much anti-death. God looks by all accounts to be pro-death. I'm not seeing how we can get together on the issue, he and I . . ." ( Infinite Jest, pg 40).



So, (audibly) eat Cake.

This is the traditio a day early. Friday this week amounts to nothing. Let's hope, maybe even pray, that Auden was correct when he wrote that "[t]he God of language forgives all crimes". But the following is not a crime:

"The Film Adaptation of Peter Weiss's 'The Persecution and Assassination of Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum at Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade'" in which "the documentary's chemically impaired director . . . repeatedly interrupts the inmates' dumbshow-capering and Marat and Sade's dialogues to discourse incoherently on the implications of Brando's Method Acting and Artaud's Theatre of Cruelty for North American filmed entertainment" (from note 24 of Notes and Errata IJ).

I know all of this is more than a little disjointed. It is even stranger that I started this jag with what should be its culmination- the post Faith and reason. It's little like a mathematical equation or a logical proof; you can have the answer at the beginning, but the point of the exercise is to work your way to it. It is wholly superfluous to point out that I have more work to do! Very often it is not easy to be reconciled to the truth.

While I'm all disjointed/out-of-sorts/I-don't-know-what-all, if you don't think this is cool there is something seriously wrong with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...