Friday, March 28, 2008

"the new trinity for this so-called community"



Okay, I am getting to be a sentimental old man. At least I have many youthful companions along for the ride, which for me has become a pilgrimmage. I still don't know the answers to the really heart-breaking questions because my heart is still broken, battered and bruised. The best I have been able to do is a beaten man hanging on cross. Weirdly, he, too, is along on the ride. He bears his own scars, but has a burning concern about the ones the rest of us bear in our bodies and on our souls. He seems to have a sense of direction. While he seems to know where we should go, he is not really forceful about it, which makes him easy to ignore, but he goes where we go, even the strangest places, like our forays into the depths of hell. He sings this song with relish and a kind of sadness. I love that the first few chords of Wake Me Up When September Ends are the same as this version of the X classic.

Now there are seven kinds of Coke
500 kinds of cigarettes
This freedom of choice in the USA drives everybody crazy
Down in Acapulco
Well they don't give a damn
About kids selling Chiclets with no shoes on their feet
See how we are
"Hey man, Whats in it for me?"
See how we are



This is an Easter bonus track. While I'm at it, here's another, closer to the source-1986, John Doe of X, accompanied by Billy Zoom, singing about how we are twenty-two years later. Maybe I am not too old. In 1986 I was twenty-one and still felt this song:



Besides this, I am working on something about the politics of Dorothy Day, to whom, Servant of God that she is, whether she likes it or not, I found myself praying last night. I can't promise it fast, but it is in the works. I am also undecided about more X next week or Patti Smith's Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...