Friday, March 16, 2012

Longing, Celtic style



As I remind everyone each St. Patrick's Day or thereabouts, Patrick is a really a pan-Celtic figure. He was originally a Welsh-speaker who first came to Ireland as a slave, but who later returned as a missionary, as a bishop. 1 March is the Feast of St. David of Wales, who, though less well-known than St. Patrick, is another great Celtic-Christian saint. I am sorry that I overlooked Dewi Sant this year on my blog, but I never forget him in my heart.

I am keeping it simple this Lent. So, Lough Erin Shore, performed by The Chieftans and The Corrs, a beautiful tune that draws out the longing of the human heart, a tune that brought tears to my Celtic eyes this morning, is our Friday traditio for this Friday, which is the day before St. Patrick's Day. Speaking of Erin's shore, if our pilgrimage through this world, or even this Lent, is a sojourn through the desert, then heaven must look a lot like Ireland.

Also from the Breastplate of St. Patrick:

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...