Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday: "Repent and believe in Gospel"

On this Ash Wednesday, I merely want to post the prayer of my brother deacon of old, St. Ephrem the Syrian, which can be prayed daily throughout Lent. The prostrations make our prayer a bodily act of worship:

O Lord and Master of my life, Grant not unto me a spirit of idleness, of discouragement, of lust for power, and of vain speaking. [Prostration]

But bestow upon me, Thy servant, the spirit of chastity, of meekness, of patience, and of love. [Prostration]

Yea, O Lord and King, grant that I may perceive my own transgressions, and judge not my brother, for blessed art Thou unto ages of ages. Amen. [Prostration]

May we bear the wounds of your Son in our bodies, for through his body he gave us life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of Holy Week

Readings: Isaiah 42:1-7; Psalm 27:1-3.13-14; John 12:1-11 Being nine months to the day before Christmas, normally today we would mark the...