Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day

Being a Welsh speaker from an area located in modern Scotland, along with his captivity and later missionary work in Ireland, Patrick is what might be called a pan-Celtic saint.


Here's a kickin' Celtic tune, Barroom Hero, by our friends from Boston, the DropKick Murphys. As my friend, Brian, reminded all the non-Celts out there, friends don't let friends drink green beer. Besides, drinking something like Bud Light on St. Patrick's shows a distinct lack of the requisite Celtic spirit. Have a Guinness, a Harp, or maybe a Smithwick's, but not green anything. I maintain a don't ask, don't policy on this. After all, it's your self-respect that's on the line!


Let's not forget to pray the Breastplate of St. Patrick, my favorite stanza of which is:

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

Have fun and be careful out there. Look out for one another. Never forget, in the name of St. Patrick, to whom you belong.

Meum cum sim pulvis et cinis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...